This lesson is designed for secondary school students in years 7-13, tasks can be adapted to suit different year groups. It's designed to be 6-90 minutes depending on the number of tasks and age range.
Lesson objective: All students will understand what is meant when we talk about a ‘brand’, and ‘advertising’ and will be able to identify some popular brands by looking at partial logos. They will all know which entry-level roles are options for them in the advertising industry. Further details on the lesson objectives can be found in the plan.
Aim: To discover a wide range of roles in the advertising sector
Literacy: Industry-specific terminology defined ‘advertising’, ‘brand’, ‘branding’, ‘brief’
Numeracy: Starting and potential salaries included—advertising industries statistics including the size of the industry and growth in the sector.
Benchmark 2 - Learning from career and labour market information.
Benchmark 4 - Linking curriculum learning to careers
Lesson planner, slides and accompanying worksheets
Click on the links to download the slideshow, the teacher notes and the student worksheets for this lesson.
- Lesson planner: Focus on advertising & marketing (PDF, opens in a new window)
- Powerpoint slides: Focus on advertising & marketing (Opens in a new window)
- Focus on advertising - glossary (PDF, opens in a new window)
- Focus on advertising - student worksheet (PDF, opens in a new window)
Please note, the Powerpoint slides include the following films that are embedded from Vimeo:
- Watch the films from the Discover Creative Careers online insight with the advertising sector - featuring insight into another agency plus a Q&A with professionals. Find out more.
- Our partners at the Institute of Practitioners in Advertising (IPA) have a careers hub featuring a range of useful hints, tips and advice for anyone looking to get into advertising and marketing, from apprenticeships, FAQs and interview advice. Visit the IPA careers hub to find out more.
The Institute of Practitioners in Advertising (IPA), incorporated by a Royal Charter, is the trade body and professional institute for agencies and individuals working in the UK's advertising, media and marketing communications industry. Find out more about the IPA and explore their career resources at ipa.co.uk.