About Cockpit Arts
Cockpit Arts is London’s leading studios for contemporary makers and an award-winning social enterprise. See how a weaver, a tailor, a jeweller, a textile artist, a modern embroiderer and a set and costume designer share the studio space and get a glimpse into their lives as artists and craftspeople.
Lesson plan - focus on crafts
This is a plan for a lesson that can last for a double period of a whole morning or afternoon. Students consider what materials could be recycled, upcycled or downcycled to create a craft item for their customers.
For this activity to meet Gatsby Benchmark 5, it can be combined with inviting students to a live Q&A:
- Crafts, fashion and textiles live Q&A, Tuesday 2 March, 11am
- Jewellery live Q&A, Thursday 4 March, 12pm
- Identify careers in crafts, fashion and textiles
- Virtually visit a workplace – Cockpit Arts
- Experience and solve a workplace task/challenge
- Understand where to find more information on careers in crafts